From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Barry Lind" <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Max Dunn" <mdunn(at)xythos(dot)com>
Subject: Re:
Date: 2004-08-20 19:56:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

	From: pgsql-hackers-win32-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-hackers-win32-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Barry
	Sent: 20 August 2004 19:03
	To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
	Cc: Max Dunn
	Subject: [pgsql-hackers-win32]
	One of the things I often run into when running the windows
version of postgres is that after an ungraceful shutdown of my machine
(lets face it, its windows and it crashes sometimes, especially my
laptop), the database service will not start because of the old file left around.  I understand why this happens and is
necessary, but when dealing with the windows port I think this is going
to be a significant issue (I have already seen a number of emails to the
list reporting this "problem").  I have a suggestion to mitigate this
issue.  Could the postgres service register the file as a
file that needs to be deleted on windows reboot.  That way everytime you
rebooted windows after either a crash or improper shutdown any left over
pid file would be automatically removed (and we can be certain that no
other postmaster is actually running since the machine is just being
booted, so it is safe to delete the file).  I think this would solve
most of the problem and still leave the pid file in place doing what it
was intended to do.

Hi Barry,
I've been thinking about this problem as well, and think you might just
be on to something here. I'll look into this some more...
Regards, Dave.

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2004-08-20 22:59:36
Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.0 beta 1 - strange cpu usage statistics and slow vacuuming