Re: Timezone detection problem (was: InitDB failure on install)

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Mario Ivankovits" <imario(at)apache(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timezone detection problem (was: InitDB failure on install)
Date: 2004-08-20 07:17:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

________________________________

From: Mario Ivankovits [mailto:imario(at)apache(dot)org]
Sent: 20 August 2004 07:51
To: Dave Page
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Timezone detection problem (was:
InitDB failure on install)

Dave Page schrieb:

<>I'll try to add a check for this to the installer for
the next release.
It'll just be a simple 'you can't install this in a ts
session' message
though, not a fix. Mind you, it's certainly not the
first installation
I've seen that won't run in a ts session.
</>

I dont know what the state of the "timzone detection problem" in
the current postgresql 8.0 head will be, but if it isnt fixed for the
next beta it might greatly help others if you could add a warning to the
installer if the automatic timezone detection failed.

It cost me a couple of hours to figure out that neither
hibernate nor I have done something wrong when i tried to update a
record with a timestamp in its key.
I know, these "couple of hours" stands in no relation to what
you guys spent to develop and support such a _great_ database. However a
short:
"Automatic timezone detection failed. Please edit your
postgresql.conf (timezone=) manually to reflect your timezone. This will
be fixed in the release version of PostgreSQL 8.0" ;-)
would be nice.

Well thankfully the other guy working on the installer (Magnus) is the
same person that wrote the new timezone code in 8.0, so I can
breathe a sigh of relief that if anyone can fix it, it'll be him - and
consequently I don't have to go anywhere near it! :-)
Regards, Dave.