Re: Updatable Cursors, CTID, and Views

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Mark Dexter" <MDEXTER(at)dexterchaney(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updatable Cursors, CTID, and Views
Date: 2004-07-28 07:28:59
Lists: pgsql-odbc

________________________________

From: pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Mark Dexter
Sent: 27 July 2004 23:26
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [ODBC] Updatable Cursors, CTID, and Views

From a prior posting on November 5, 2002, I found this text
regarding the use of CTID in the ODBC driver:

The driver uses CTID and OID to implement updatable cursors.
Please turn off the *Updatable cursors* DSN option if you don't like the
behavior. regards, Hiroshi Inoue

I am having a problem where I need to use updatable cursors with
views. It appears that the ODBC driver is trying to use the CTID and
OID columns and that views don't have these columns. Is it possible to
use updatable cursors with views via the PostgreSQL ODBC driver?

Not from what Hiroshi has said (he wrote the cursor code). I imagine he
used CTID because it needs to be able to locate the exact version of
each row - in a view that won't work because ctid don't exist. I guess
you could try adding it to your view definition though that will
probably only work for single table views of course.

I'm not sure why he would have used oid given that it may not exist even
in a table...

Regards, Dave.