Re: [pgadmin-support] Schemas causing problems :(

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: "Vitaly Belman" <vitalyb(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Schemas causing problems :(
Date: 2004-07-26 15:25:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

That would probably not be a bad thing.

> >>Unfortunately, this search_path[i] = session_user is not absolutely
> >>stable (schema or user name may change), but it should be stable
> >>enough.
> >>
> >>Thoughts?
> >

> > Fully qualify everything.
>
> You'd wipe your eyes if we really did. How do you like
> pg_catalog.int4, pg_catalog.text and so forth? <shrug>

Hmm, yes, I was forgetting about things like types, however perhaps they
are slightly different - for example, consider:

CREATE TABLE pg_catalog.my_comments(objoid oid, descr text);

Dropping the pg_catalog from that will likely have far more impact than
dropping it from pg_catalog.oid in the same statement (if you see what
I'm getting at).

Perhaps the search needs to be more clever though. Consider the
following:

search_path: public
custom type: public.text

In this case we might need to specify pg_catalog.text to get the right
one.

>  > I think it's the only truly infallible way.
>
> And the ugliest.

Oh yes.

> Maybe we should invent a switch if default schema suppression is not
> wanted; the search path option seems useless.

Lose the switch, but resolve the correct schema each time and display
appropriately? Could get nasty...

Regards, Dave.

pgadmin-hackers by date