Re: Misc topics

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Misc topics
Date: 2004-06-23 07:50:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

So what you are saying is that pgAdmin will not include options to
support more advanced users?

> To say it with different words:
> pg_dump has two modes: one creating backup files
> (compressed/tar), the other extraction of data for later
> manipulation. That's certainly not paired with pg_restore.
> I'm beginning to think about splitting these two tasks into
> two separate tools.
>
> I refuse to name that pg_dump plain thing a backup. It's a
> data extraction, object to manipulation.

You already did call it a backup when you put 'plain' and a bunch of
related options on frmBackup. Currently we're in the worst case scenario
- you have a bunch of backup options that'll create files that cannot be
restored using the restore tool!

Can we get some other opinions on this - should backup/restore include
the ability to use plain text format files?

> BTW, I'm waiting for PITR, which will offer the backup type that I
> *really* want.

Yeah, well, we're all waiting for that :-)

/D