Re: SQL Code Formatting Patch

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Edward Di Geronimo Jr(dot)" <edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL Code Formatting Patch
Date: 2006-06-13 20:00:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Yeuch.

> I'll look at it a little more, but I don't have high hopes of
> getting
> it better without making the scanner try to understand the
> SQL instead
> of the current approach of just reacting to things of interest. I do
> have an idea that may work, but I'm not sure yet. It'll take a while
> for me to work out, and I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to get
> to it, so you may want to go ahead with the current patch for now.

I'll hold off for now - SQL formatting is probably the second most
contentious issue in pgAdmin, so we're probably best waiting until
everyone's happy.

> BTW, there's a table of keywords in the code that defines
> what should
> be done when they're detected. There's a bool at the end that
> determines if a new line should be inserted before the keyword. You
> may want to change that to false for the CASE keyword. I wasn't sure
> if there were instances where that would backfire, so I
> figured extra
> newlines were better than not enough of them. My main concern is if
> you try using case somewhere in the where clause.

I generally like my CASE's to be seperated, so let's keep it as is for
now.

Cheers, Dave.

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: svnDate: 2006-06-14 14:22:33