Re: i18n online documentation

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>, "PgAdmin Hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: i18n online documentation
Date: 2006-05-09 07:19:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

There lies a massive problem. The code will automatically use localised docs if it can find them, but that requires that the entire (ie. pgAdmin, Slony and PostgreSQL) docset is translated. That's not the real problem though - the real issue is when we do a release of pgInstaller, we have perhaps a week to bring everything into sync and get it out of the door. For the non-windows users, the pgAdmin chm/hhp file *is* the documentation for the Windows version of PostgreSQL.

I suppose we could only ship the English docs with pgInstaller, but that still leaves a potential problem bringing everything into sync for pgAdmin-only releases. What I think we perhaps need to look at is making the localised docs a runtime-downloadable component, so that we can release them seperately and make it clear to the user before they download what version of each set of docs is available to them in the set.

Thoughts?

Regards, Dave.