Re: Query grid

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, <edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query grid
Date: 2006-04-03 13:42:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Well, those ugly grey spaces look identical to those in your View Data
code so any fix should be applied to both controls.

> I remember the comment how fast this should have become, so I
> tried "SELECT * from pg_attribute" on a small db. I had 3614 rows in
> 600+1400ms on a pre-grid version (ancient 700MHz Athlon), and 720 rows
> in 600+47000ms on the grid version, with 2894 rows
> dropped!!!! I killed another attempt after 5 minutes.

Yes, it was much faster. See the benchmarks I posted to the list at
http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-hackers/2006-02/msg00155.php

[For a 100,000 row query]
52.277 Secs + 9.123 Secs (v1.5, with your patch)
52.276 Secs + 39.688 Secs (v1.4.1)

However, I am seeing dismal performance today, so something has got
borked at some point.

> IIRC, Edward mentioned he used the original wxGridTable
> implementation because it worked good for him, and
> consequently I didn't find any
> SetTable() call. As I mentioned earlier and , an inevitable
> requirement is the usage of virtual row/col management, to
> improve performance on larger resultsets. The new ctlSqlGrid
> fails to implement it, and thus fails even on result sets
> that can't really be called big.

Originally it was a virtual table, however it was found to be faster yet
to use the built in table. I wonder now however, if when I tested the
later version of the patch I was actually testing the wrong version.
Maybe that needs to be reimplemented.

> This implementation is clearly a bad regression. Please
> revert ASAP and come back with a non-grid version (virtual
> listbox or listview), I still fail to see any advantage of
> wxGrid for this usage.

It has been proven to be significantly faster. I will not revert the
patch unless it proves impossible to fix the problem you are seeing,
which seems unlikely given the speedup which I saw on the earlier
versions. Reverting every patch because it is found not to be perfect
when first applied would be a very good way of ensuring that nothing
ever gets done.

Regards, Dave