Re: Query results in grid, new patch

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Edward Di Geronimo Jr(dot)" <edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query results in grid, new patch
Date: 2006-02-27 11:21:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Ed,

> Attached is a newer version of my query results in a grid patch. This
> version adds a custom table class to store the data.

I got a couple of warnings building this that should be cleaned up:

c:\documents and settings\dpage\my
documents\svn\pgadmin3\src\ctl\ctlsqlresult.cpp(514) : warning C4018:
'>=' : signed/unsigned mismatch
c:\documents and settings\dpage\my
documents\svn\pgadmin3\src\ctl\ctlsqlresult.cpp(519) : warning C4018:
'>' : signed/unsigned mismatch

> My quick
> testing on
> WinXP shows this patch to display query results in about one
> half the time
> my previous patch did. That patch, at least on my system, in turn
> displayed results in about one half the time the old code
> did. So at least
> on WinXP, this patch will result in results displaying in
> approximately
> 25% of the time they previously took.

I just tried it here with a LIMIT 100000 query, and got:

52.277 Secs + 9.123 Secs (v1.5, with your patch)
52.276 Secs + 39.688 Secs (v1.4.1)

Wow! Very impressive.

> The table class I created contains the bare minimum
> functionality I needed
> to make it work. To help improve the speed, I designed the
> class to use as
> few memory allocations as possible.

OK.

> As with the previous patch, there are still focus issues that make the
> clipboard support flakey. The issue seems to be the grid
> control doesn't
> seem to hold onto the focus the way the old list object did, making it
> difficult to decide which object should handle a Copy request. I don't
> know very much about wxWidgets, so I'm stumped on the issue.
> Someone else
> will have to help out.

I have been unable to make it misbehave on XP. I haven't tried OSX or
Linux as I don't have either to hand atm. Can you give me a precise
example to test? I have had complete success copying individual cells,
groups of rows, groups of columns and arbitrary blocks of cells.

Other than that, my only comment is the column headers which look even
messier than they did previously (because the text appears to be
centered rather than left justified). Can you alter it to place the data
type on the line below, as per the Edit Grid please?

Regards, Dave.