Re: Website

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Bastiaan Wakkie" <bastiaan(at)wakkie(dot)org>
Cc: "PgAdmin Hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Website
Date: 2006-01-13 10:53:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

________________________________

From: Bastiaan Wakkie [mailto:bastiaan(at)wakkie(dot)org]
Sent: 13 January 2006 09:38
To: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Website

Hi Dave,

I walked through the website and have some tips for you:

Thanks :-)

If you enter the website yu dont seeanywhere the latest stable
version I would say next to the logo would be the best place.

OK. I'm not sure that the logo is the best place, but I agree with
adding some text. I'll certainly add something to the front page.

I would set the google search om your own website first.

That's not allowed by the Google T&Cs unfortunately... though, I wonder
if I can do it with a little Javascript (you're not allowed to modify
the Google generated code at all, but it might not disallow Javascript
tweaking of form values).

Design technical I would remove the pgasectionheadermenu and
insted change the background colour in the pgamainmenu.. That will give
you 1) more space and 2) it will not give you on every page the same
text under each other and 3) the Navigation structure is much more
clearer.

Hmm, not sure I like that idea - I think the top menu should always be
the main menu and shouldn't change. In addition, some sub menus won't
fit across the width without wrapping - in particular the Download one.

Also in the pgasectionmenu I would like to see what I selected.
A change on the bg colour.

OK, I'll look at that.

In the document :> Development 1.5
<http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/docs/dev/> and > Release 1.4
<http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/docs/1.4/> the pgsectionmenu suddently
disappears. Tht is not a nice supprice. If you want to go to the other
document you need to do one click to much

There's a couple of reasons for that:

1) Many of the docs contain large images. These cannot be shrunk like
the snapshots (at least without a *lot* of work) because they are
dynamically extracted from the SVN repo, thus they will often result in
horizontal scrolling being required.

2) There is no way to generate a section menu other than that on the
introduction page. As people are unlikely to hop between versions much,
it seems more sensible to make use of the space to avoid the horizontal
scrollbar.

The theory is much the same as on the www.postgresql.org/docs, except
that on there there are no screen shots so 1) doesn't really apply.

In Download the H1 in the content is suddently called Download
and not Introduction like the other pages.

Well spotted. Fixed.

The screenshots are to small. Why not make then a littlebit
bigger so you can at least read the text of the screenshots (there is
space enough)

Click the screenshots to see a full sized version. They have been shrunk
to avoid the scrolling problem. I've added a note to that effect to the
screenshots introduction.

In the FAQ it would be nice to have a link back to the top.

The FAQ is extracted on the fly from SVN, so from a website point of
view that's not my problem :-)

In the known issues don't you need to add a version nr
somewhere?

The same applies to that in some respects, though in reality the bugs
list applies to the development code. I've noted that on the page.

well that as it :-)

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Regards, Dave.

  • Re: Website at 2006-01-13 13:02:00 from Bastiaan Wakkie