Re: :PgSQL: More Queestions

From: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
To: "Jeff Urlwin" <jurlwin(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>
Cc: <dbi-dev(at)perl(dot)org>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: :PgSQL: More Queestions
Date: 2002-11-22 00:11:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 06:45  AM, Jeff Urlwin wrote:

>> It doesn't appear to handle "...""...", though, right? Or am I missing
>> it?
> Actually, it does, but completely "accidentally".  DBD::ODBC is not
> concerned with the fact that there are " inside the ", so:
> 	the first quote sets in_literal=1 (true)
> 	the second quote sets in_literal=0 (false)
> 	the third puts us right back in_literal=1, so we can keep processing.
> Since there should be an even number of " marks, I think we're OK here.
> Seems too simple, but, it works.  There may be a case that gets me,
> but I
> don't think so.

No, that makes a *lot* of sense. Allows it to be much more elegant than
when checking for "\"" and '\'' as escapes!

> You probably wouldn't have that prepared as one statement.
> Using, say, SQL Server, you can do something like (pseudo code here
> with
> some exaggeration, but I can actually provide test code that someone
> sent):
> 	sp_pain_to_deal_with(int i) as
> 		if (i == 1)
> 			select a, b, c from foo;	/* returns a, b, c as result set */
> 		elseif (i == 2)
> 			delete from foo;			/* returns a count, not a result set */
> 		else
> 			select d, a, b, f from foo;	/* returns something completely
> different */
> 	end;

Aaah! Get away, get away!!! ;-)

> Or, the more "normal" case:
> 	$sth = $dbh->prepare("insert a, b, c into foo values (?, ?, ?); select
> @@identidy;");
> which, in one "shot" insert into the table and gets back the
> auto-incremented id for the table (again, there is probably a lot of
> syntax
> issue with the above, but the concept is there).

Hrm, yes. I'm not sure that that's an issue for PostgreSQL.

david(at)wheeler(dot)net                                 ICQ: 15726394                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory(at)jabber(dot)org