Re: inheritance. more.

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Allison" <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inheritance. more.
Date: 2008-04-29 01:34:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Apr 28, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Postgres doesn't yet handle inheritance of constraints from parent
> to child tables via inheritance.
>

> Was it done by design or was it a limitation we couldn't get over?

My understanding of the lack of a full featured partitioning solution
(based on previous conversations with Tom Lane, Gregory Stark, and the
like) is that the current implementation was pieced together from
other portions of the system -- i.e. the moving parts on the backend
weren't built from the ground up with partitioning in mind. I'm
currently working on a command line tool that will take a table name
along with a date/timestamp or integer based column on that table and
some optional parameters and write out range based partitions for that
table. If you'd like I'll save this email and once I've got it stable
and well tested I'll put it up in a public repo somewhere.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888