Re: Best COPY Performance

From: Alex Stapleton <alexs(at)advfn(dot)com>
To: Jim C(dot)Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Worky Workerson <worky(dot)workerson(at)gmail(dot)com>,Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best COPY Performance
Date: 2006-10-25 12:16:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 23 Oct 2006, at 22:59, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> http://stats.distributed.net used to use a perl script to do some
> transformations before loading data into the database. IIRC, when we
> switched to using C we saw 100x improvement in speed, so I suspect
> that
> if you want performance perl isn't the way to go. I think you can
> compile perl into C, so maybe that would help some.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?
test=all&lang=perl&lang2=gcc

100x doesn't totally impossible if that is even vaguely accurate and
you happen to be using bits of Perl which are a lot slower than the C
implementation would be...
The slowest things appear to involve calling functions, all the
slowest tests involve lots of function calls.