Serial/sequence problem

From: Mike Hall <MHall(at)astc(dot)nt(dot)gov(dot)au>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Serial/sequence problem
Date: 2008-11-25 07:11:43
Lists: pgsql-general

I have just imported 3636 rows into a PG database table (PG 8.1 on CentOS 5.2 ... the default).
The rows were imported using separate INSERT statements for each row. All OK so far.

After having had a few attempts at inserting new test rows (which all inserted OK), I notice that the last_value count in the sequence for this table is only 9. I was expecting something above 3636 of course. So now I'm getting duplicate serial numbers in my SERIAL id field.

It appears to be not possible to manually update the last_count value in the sequence table (currently 9, though the table contains 3636+9 rows), so I'm wondering:

- what did I do wrong to arrive in this situation?
- how can I rectify the situation?

Thanks

Mick