Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <rabt(at)dim(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Subject: Re: pgsql 8.x libpq.dll Installation problems
Date: 2005-04-08 14:24:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
On Apr 8, 2005, at 3:37 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Question is, what to do about dependencies? libpq depends on a bunch of
> libraries (openssl, libiconv for example). Shuold we bundle those or
> just say where they can be downloaded? (while openssl is pretty common
> on most linux systems, it's not on windows. And I almost never come
> across a box with libiconv on)

My vote would be just to include all of the dlls in the same directory
as the .exe files. I know this goes against the traditional separation
of bin and lib directories, but I would much prefer something that
"just works" by dragging a folder from one machine to another. It also
makes it easy to work with multiple versions without worrying about
dependencies or conflicts. To me, these advantages far outweigh the
ugliness of throwing everything into one directory.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL