Re: win32: how to backup (dump does not work)

From: "Joris Dobbelsteen" <Joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl>
To: <fkater(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32: how to backup (dump does not work)
Date: 2008-02-26 23:51:34
Lists: pgsql-general

I believe something like NTBackup (or any decent windows backup tool)
can properly restore permissions. However, this will only work with
centralized authentication (with NT domain) and NO local computer
accounts used, when moving between servers (for obvious reasons). I
think even WinRAR contains an option to do so, but cannot remember for
sure and I never tried it anyways.

In cause you mean the permissions prevent you from making a backup, this
should be a smaller problem if you are infact a backup operator and use
a windows backup tool (they get more rights when requested).

- Joris