Re: Simple function question

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Simple function question
Date: 2004-10-26 13:49:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

> You could return SETOF RECORD but then your queries will need to
> provide a column definition list.  Another way would be to create
> a custom type that describes a result record and return SETOF that
> type.  But before you do any of this, perhaps you should think about
> whether you really need a function at all, or whether you can use
> views and WHERE clauses.

Michael,

Thanks for the reply.  The reason all of this comes up is that I have
an application in which the user can create "sets" of IDs.  I then want
to be able to do logical operations on the sets of IDs and then return
the database objects based on the ID's in those sets.  I tried the
function version using "ANY" and the simple query using "IN" and found
an order of magnitude difference in speed (IN is faster).  So, it
appears that using views and where clauses is the way to go here.  One
last question--is there a limit to the length of a SQL query (in terms
of characters), as some of these sets could be very large (up to 40000
integers)?

Thanks again.

Sean