Problem with view

From: Wenjin Zheng <wenjin(dot)zheng(at)lsbc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with view
Date: 2000-04-03 17:50:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I have got another problem.  I have a table(table tempOne) that has two
fields, seqid(int) and phredscore(int).  They are one to many relationship,
e.g. one seqid has many phredscore.  I would like to get the row that has
the max(phredscore).  So I first created a view as follow:
"create view maxphred as select seqid, max(phredscore) as phredscore from
tempOne group by seqid;"

Then I try to get the rows that corresponding to the top phredscore.  I did
this:

"select tempOne.* from tempOne, maxphred where tempOne.seqid=maxphred.seqid
and tempOne.phredscore=maxphred.phredscore;"

I got some weird stuff back which obviously is wrong.  However if I create a
table maxphred rather than a view, I get the correct result.  There might be
something missing for the view that I did not know of.  Does anyone know
that my query with view did not work.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Wenjin Zheng
Bioinformatic Analyst