Re: 3ware vs Areca

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff <threshar(at)threshar(dot)is-a-geek(dot)com>, Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 3ware vs Areca
Date: 2008-07-11 19:58:56
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Jul 11, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
>> My last box with a 3ware I simply had it in jbod mode and used sw
>> raid and it smoked the hw.
>
> That is often the case no matter which hardware controller you've
> got, particularly in more complicated RAID setups.  You might want
> to consider that a larger lesson rather than just a single data point.

Yeah, it'd be fun to run more benchmarks, but the beefy box, for some
reason, is a prod box busy 24/7.  no time to nuke it and fidgit :)

> Check out the pages starting at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/
> SERIAL-RAID-CONTROLLERS-AMCC,1738-12.html for example, where the
> newer Areca 1680ML card just gets crushed at all kinds of workloads
> by the AMCC 3ware 9690SA.  I think the 3ware 9600 series cards have
> achieved or exceeded what Areca's 1200 series was capable of, while
> Areca's latest generation has slipped a bit from the previous one.

It does look like the 9600 series fixed a lot of the 9550 issues.

(and for the record, yes, either card I get will have a bbu. tis
silly to get a controller without one)

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/