Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Steve McLellan <smclellan(at)mintel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query performance over a large proportion of data
Date: 2009-03-14 14:47:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mar 10, 2009, at 4:12 PM, Steve McLellan wrote:
> The server itself is a dual-core 3.7GHz Xeon Dell (each core
> reporting 2
> logical CPUs) running an amd64 build of FreeBSD 6.2, and postgres
> 8.3.5 built
> from source.

Uh, you're running an amd64 build on top of an Intel CPU? I didn't
think FBSD would allow that, but if it does it wouldn't surprise me
if kernel/OS performance stunk. If Postgres then used the same
settings it would make matters even worse (IIRC there is some code
that's different in an AMD vs Intel build).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org