RE: RE: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

From: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Hiroshi Inoue'" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: RE: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Date: 2001-07-24 07:53:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was thinking that this would help stop OID wrap around while not totally
breaking clients that used OIDs as row identifiers as they'd now have the
int4 primary key value (although I guess there could be risks if the client
assumes there'd be globally unique). Also the primary key would have to be
placed into the OID in all places it could be referenced (for WHERE
clauses,etc...). It'd only work on those tables that had int4 priamary keys,
but I suspect thats a fair few. I don't know wether this'd be worth while,
but was rather throwing it out for thought.
- Stuart