RE: Access '97 {oj ...} Left Join

From: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'Hiroshi Inoue'" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "'Jean-Michel POURE'" <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>, "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Access '97 {oj ...} Left Join
Date: 2001-04-18 09:27:08
Lists: pgsql-odbc
FYI Here's a little snippet from the ODBC 3.0 SDK:
	Applications can submit statements using ODBC or DBMS-specific
grammar. If a statement uses ODBC grammar that is different from
DBMS-specific grammar, the driver converts it before sending it to the data
source. However, such conversions are rare as most DBMSs already use
standard SQL grammar.
	I think the Idea is to make a client program using ODBC able to use
any backend as long as it supports the features that are being used.
Btw, if any one makes a build that solves the {oj ...} problem (wether by
supporting it or disabling it) please could they pop me a copy (or make such
a copy available) as I don't have M$VC,
Thanks,
- Stuart

	[SNIP]

> > > As Henshall pointed out, {oj ...} style syntax seems a
> > > ODBC thing and the driver has to map the syntax to
> > > DBMS-specific syntax. In fact psqlodbc driver already
> > > supports {fn ..}, {dt ..} syntax etc ...
> > > In my simple test case, mapping the escape part as-is
> > > seems to work.
> >
> > So the ODBC driver has to support syntax that isn't supported by the
> > backend? Hmm, I wasn't aware of that (not that that's unusual :-)).
> >

> I don't know any DBMS which supports {oj syntax directly.
> What I meant is to pass the outer join syntax inside the
> {oj .. } as-is to 7.1 PostgreSQL servers.
>
> regards,
> Hiroshi Inoue

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Christian BucanacDate: 2001-04-18 09:51:03