pgsql: Add defenses against integer overflow in dynahash numbucketscal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Add defenses against integer overflow in dynahash numbucketscal
Date: 2012-12-12 03:10:17
Lists: pgsql-committers
Add defenses against integer overflow in dynahash numbuckets calculations.

The dynahash code requires the number of buckets in a hash table to fit
in an int; but since we calculate the desired hash table size dynamically,
there are various scenarios where we might calculate too large a value.
The resulting overflow can lead to infinite loops, division-by-zero
crashes, etc.  I (tgl) had previously installed some defenses against that
in commit 299d1716525c659f0e02840e31fbe4dea3, but that covered only one
call path.  Moreover it worked by limiting the request size to work_mem,
but in a 64-bit machine it's possible to set work_mem high enough that the
problem appears anyway.  So let's fix the problem at the root by installing
limits in the dynahash.c functions themselves.

Trouble report and patch by Jeff Davis.

Branch
------
REL9_1_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f0fc1d4c890135ec879860f7d0c49b34d492d99f

Modified Files
src/backend/executor/nodeHash.c   |    4 ++-
src/backend/utils/hash/dynahash.c |   49 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------

pgsql-committers by date