pgsql: Produce a more useful error message for over-length Unixsocket

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Produce a more useful error message for over-length Unixsocket
Date: 2012-11-30 00:58:17
Lists: pgsql-committers
Produce a more useful error message for over-length Unix socket paths.

The length of a socket path name is constrained by the size of struct
sockaddr_un, and there's not a lot we can do about it since that is a
kernel API.  However, it would be a good thing if we produced an
intelligible error message when the user specifies a socket path that's too
long --- and getaddrinfo's standard API is too impoverished to do this in
the natural way.  So insert explicit tests at the places where we construct
a socket path name.  Now you'll get an error that makes sense and even
tells you what the limit is, rather than something generic like
"Non-recoverable failure in name resolution".

Per trouble report from Jeremy Drake and a fix idea from Andrew Dunstan.

Branch
------
REL8_3_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9837be98731f0cbad681631587991f747c8d9139

Modified Files
src/backend/libpq/pqcomm.c        |    8 ++++++++
src/include/libpq/pqcomm.h        |   13 +++++++++++++
src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c |   11 ++++++++++-

pgsql-committers by date