pgsql: Allow create_index_paths() to consider multiple join bitmapscan

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Allow create_index_paths() to consider multiple join bitmapscan
Date: 2012-08-16 17:04:17
Lists: pgsql-committers

Allow create_index_paths() to consider multiple join bitmapscan paths.

In the initial cut at the "parameterized paths" feature, I'd simplified
create_index_paths() to the point where it would only generate a single
parameterized bitmap path per relation. Experimentation with an example
supplied by Josh Berkus convinces me that that's not good enough: we really
need to consider a bitmap path for each possible outer relation. Otherwise
we have regressions relative to pre-9.2 versions, in which the planner
picks a plain indexscan where it should have used a bitmap scan in queries
involving three or more tables. Indeed, after fixing this, several queries
in the regression tests show improved plans as a result of using bitmap not
plain indexscans.

Branch
------
REL9_2_STABLE