BUG #6428: pg_restore -l not consistent with function comments

From: keith(at)omniti(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6428: pg_restore -l not consistent with function comments
Date: 2012-02-01 21:50:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6428
Logged by: Keith
Email address: keith(at)omniti(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.2
Operating system: Any

Working on a tool that iterates through the pg_restore -l list for doing
more advanced dump filtering (pg_extractor), I came across an inconsistency
in the object list that is generated. If a function is declared with the
argument variable names defined in the argument list, and has an associated
comment, the line for the comment in the pg_restore -l list includes the
variable name in the argument list whereas the line for the function itself
just has the argument types. This has made it hard for me to match comments
with functions. It just seems very inconsistent as well since the function
signature does not require the argument variable names to uniquely identify
it. Not a hugely critical item, but it's made it hard for me to make my
filtering tool as useful as I'd like it to be.

Example:
14663; 1255 16507 FUNCTION keith do_something(integer, text) postgres
48818; 0 0 COMMENT keith FUNCTION do_something(data_source_id integer, query
text) postgres