pgsql: Take fewer snapshots.

From: Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Take fewer snapshots.
Date: 2011-12-21 14:22:28
Lists: pgsql-committers

Take fewer snapshots.

When a PORTAL_ONE_SELECT query is executed, we can opportunistically
reuse the parse/plan shot for the execution phase. This cuts down the
number of snapshots per simple query from 2 to 1 for the simple
protocol, and 3 to 2 for the extended protocol. Since we are only
reusing a snapshot taken early in the processing of the same protocol
message, the change shouldn't be user-visible, except that the remote
possibility of the planning and execution snapshots being different is
eliminated.

Note that this change does not make it safe to assume that the parse/plan
snapshot will certainly be reused; that will currently only happen if
PortalStart() decides to use the PORTAL_ONE_SELECT strategy. It might
be worth trying to provide some stronger guarantees here in the future,
but for now we don't.

Patch by me; review by Dimitri Fontaine.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d573e239f03506920938bf0be56c868d9c3416da

Modified Files
src/backend/commands/portalcmds.c | 2 +-
src/backend/commands/prepare.c | 2 +-
src/backend/executor/spi.c | 18 +++++++-----------
src/backend/tcop/postgres.c | 32 +++++++++++++++++++++-----------
src/backend/tcop/pquery.c | 15 ++++++++-------