BUG #6341: Packaging - virtual provides "postgres" without version

From: nelson-m-marques(at)ext(dot)ptinovacao(dot)pt
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6341: Packaging - virtual provides "postgres" without version
Date: 2011-12-15 16:27:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6341
Logged by: Nelson Marques
Email address: nelson-m-marques(at)ext(dot)ptinovacao(dot)pt
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.10
Operating system: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

Hi all,

Currently your binary distribution of PostgreSQL for Enterprise Linux has a
virtual provides for 'postgresql' which has no version associated with it
(there's good and bad things depending on usage regarding this
methodology).

Is there a special reason for having a virtual provides without versioning?
For my specific usage, have the "postgresql" virtual provides with a version
associated (the same of the original package) would be of great value, and
this situation might end up in forcing me to repackage the whole thing.

Would upstream consider during next updates to make this virtual provides
associated with the version of the main package? (I don't mind doing the
necessary changes on the spec file, testing and even help maintaining it for
upstream).

NM