pgsql: Avoid unexpected conversion overflow in planner for distant date

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Avoid unexpected conversion overflow in planner for distant date
Date: 2010-12-29 04:02:29
Lists: pgsql-committers

Avoid unexpected conversion overflow in planner for distant date values.

The "date" type supports a wider range of dates than int64 timestamps do.
However, there is pre-int64-timestamp code in the planner that assumes that
all date values can be converted to timestamp with impunity. Fortunately,
what we really need out of the conversion is always a double (float8)
value; so even when the date is out of timestamp's range it's possible to
produce a sane answer. All we need is a code path that doesn't try to
force the result into int64. Per trouble report from David Rericha.

Back-patch to all supported versions. Although this is surely a corner
case, there's not much point in advertising a date range wider than
timestamp's if we will choke on such values in unexpected places.

Branch
------
REL8_3_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=dcb2b356b01a2c7192f507c3570e6b5bbad93c24

Modified Files
src/backend/utils/adt/date.c | 33 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/backend/utils/adt/selfuncs.c | 3 +--
src/include/utils/date.h | 2 ++