pgsql: Don't try to fetch database name when SetTransactionIdLimit()is

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Don't try to fetch database name when SetTransactionIdLimit()is
Date: 2010-10-20 16:49:55
Lists: pgsql-committers
Don't try to fetch database name when SetTransactionIdLimit() is executed
outside a transaction.

This repairs brain fade in my patch of 2009-08-30: the reason we had been
storing oldest-database name, not OID, in ShmemVariableCache was of course
to avoid having to do a catalog lookup at times when it might be unsafe.

This error explains why Aleksandr Dushein is having trouble getting out of
an XID wraparound state in bug #5718, though not how he got into that state
in the first place.  I suspect pg_upgrade is at fault there.

Branch
------
REL9_0_STABLE

Details