Re: Re: Monitoring new records

From: messias <messias(at)fw(dot)hu>
To: sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Monitoring new records
Date: 2008-02-29 07:06:41
Lists: pgsql-novice
--- Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov> wrote (2008.02.28 22:56:08):
---

> 2008/2/28 messias <messias(at)fw(dot)hu>:

> > Hello

> >  I am new in SQL programing and I have a problem. I would like

> >  monitor the new records which is inserted into an SQL table.

> >  I found some solution which mentioned a queue (log) table which

can

> >  be filled by a trigger. The client would read from that queue

table,

> >  and delete the readed data.

> >  I think this solution can work with only one client.

> >  But I would have more than one client at the same time, and I
do

not

> >  know how I can delete the data from the queue table.

> >  I can make queue table for every client, but I think this is
not

> >  nice solution.

> >  I am affraid of lost client....

> >  I am intrested in every solution which can solve my problem.

> Why not simply add a timestamp column to each row.  Then, your

client

> could query for all rows created or modified after a certain

> time/date.

Yes it can be a good solution, but that table can have more than

100000 records.

I don't think a trigger and a separate table would be

> necessary, but it is hard to know without more information.

> Sean

I think if I made a copy of the new records into a separate table
the

selection would be more efficient. However, somebody has to delete

from that table.

Ferenc

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Sean DavisDate: 2008-02-29 11:07:28