Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

From: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date: 2006-12-12 17:56:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

At 10:47 AM 12/12/2006, Tom Lane wrote:

>It's notoriously hard to get repeatable numbers out of pgbench :-(
That's not a good characteristic in bench marking SW...

Does the ODSL stuff have an easier time getting reproducible results?

>A couple of tips:
> * don't put any faith in short runs. I usually use -t 1000
> plus -c whatever.
> * make sure you loaded the database (pgbench -i) with a
> scale factor (-s) at least equal to the maximum -c you want to test.
> Otherwise you're mostly measuring update contention.
> * pay attention to when checkpoints occur. You probably
> need to increase checkpoint_segments if you want pgbench not to be
> checkpoint-bound.
This all looks very useful. Can you give some guidance as to what
checkpoint_segments should be increased to? Do the values you are
running pgbench with suggest what value checkpoint_segments should be?

Ron Peacetree