Grant Update (Possible bug)?

From: Ilir Gashi <I(dot)Gashi(at)city(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Grant Update (Possible bug)?
Date: 2004-07-02 11:20:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

This is a another bug reported for the Firebird 1.0 server. I subsequently
ran it in PostgreSQL 7.2, Oracle 8.0.5 anf MSSQL 7.

Reproducible script:

Connect as pgsql:

CREATE TABLE TEST(ID INTEGER,NAME VARCHAR(50));

INSERT INTO TEST (ID) VALUES (1);

GRANT UPDATE ON TEST TO TESTUSER;

Connect as TestUser;

UPDATE TEST SET NAME='TEST' WHERE ID=1;

ERROR: test: Permission denied.

UPDATE TEST SET NAME='TEST';

Executes successfully.

So the user can update the whole table but not specific columns. Is this a
bug or as specified (I read briefly the Reference Guide and I didn't see
this highlited anywhere, but I may have missed it.). Firebird and MSSQL
have the same behaviour as PostgreSQL (Firebird have acknowledged this as a
bug, I haven't checked on MSSQL website yet.)

In Oracle 8.0.5 both updates execute sucessfully.

Best regards,

Ilir

Ilir Gashi
PhD Student
Centre for Software Reliability
City University
Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
email: i(dot)gashi(at)city(dot)ac(dot)uk
website: http://www.csr.city.ac.uk/csr_city/staff/gashi/