Re: per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: per-tablespace random_page_cost/seq_page_cost
Date: 2009-11-02 21:11:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi, excuse the quoting style... and the intrepid nature of the
following content...

Le 1 nov. 2009 à 13:43, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> a écrit :
> We could have a column for all booleans, a column for all integers,
> etc. but that's not really any more normalized than having a single
> column for all the types with a rule for how to marshal each value
> type.

Thé other day, on IRC, someone wanted a dynamic table accepting value
in whichever column you name. That would probably mean having a
special INSERT INTO which ALTER TABLE ... ADD COLUMN ... for you.

This sure looks suspicious, but the asking came from another product
and it seems that could help here too. Oh and you get text columns I
guess, by default...