-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
I found an error in the FAQ ("IS NULLIS NOT NULL") while reading
it as 'more FAQ', so I took a look at doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html and
found a few more. I've ordered them in rough order of
importance, from glaring typos all the way down to proposed
XHTML compliance. Specific questions I have are denoted
with a "* ??". Rather than attaching the whole file, I'll
just give a URL and attach a finalized version if required
later. Feel free to ask me for a subset of the below changes
if need be.
* 4.14: Fixed typo in answer (IS NULLIS NOT NULL).
* 4.24: Changed href="#4.25" to "name=4.25" in the answer.
* 2.2: Replaced "use" with "using" so the Q & A match.
* 5.4: Changed hyperlink text to 5.4 from 5.3
* 1.9: Fixed the hyperlink for "TODO" to point to the
correct (?) place.
* ?? 1.10: The link to the SQL tutorial at
http://w3.one.net/~jhoffman/sqltut.htm is dead. I found
another copy at
an put that in: but perhaps we should mirror our own copy,
if the author agrees?
* 3.9: Added double quotes so the Q & A match.
* 4.3, 4.6, 4.18, 4.19, 4.20, 4.21, 4.22, 4.23:
Removed <BR> from answer, before </H4>
* 4.15.2: Changed "$newSerialID" to "new_id" to match example
* replaced <H6> with <P><STRONG>
* 4.15.2: Stripped the "to to" from the paragraph. :)
* 4.5: Changed wording of question a little.
* 3.9: Better phrasing of the question.
* 4.19: Reworded to a single question, quoted error message,
moved puncuation outside HTML.
* 1.2: Changed copyright from 2001 to 2002
* 1.4: Hyperlinked "MS Windows FAQ" to
* Many places: fixed incorrect possessive apostrophes, including:
* </P> tag added where missing: 1.15 (x4), 4.12
* 1.1: Added "how is it pronounced?" to the question itself.
Moved pronounciation answer to the top of the answer section.
* 1.13 Replaced vague reference to a "bug-template" file
with a hyperlink to:
http://www.postgresql.org/bugs/bugs.php. Also removed
the mailto:bugs link to encourage people to read the
guidelines and use the online form. By the way, that
page needs to have <title> tags.
* 1.2: Expanded contraction of what's.
* Changed references to "the postmaster" to simply "postmaster",
since we are emphasizing that this is a program in italics,
such as psql. Perhaps change to "the <I>postmaster</I> program"
if the "the" is really desired.
* 2.1: Changed the ODBC hyperlink from
* 2.2: Changed the link regarding "Database-backed Web pages"
as the former simply refreshes to the latter with a meta
* ?? 3.5: Moved this paragraph:
<p>Inoperative semaphores can also cause crashes during heavy
database access.</p> to question 3.4. Is this where it goes?
* ?? 3.3 Hyperlinked the words "PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide" to:
Is there a preferred non-interactive version?
* Various: made "unix" consistently "Unix" (also "non-Unix")
* ?? Various: changed "indices" to "indexes". There were about an
even number of each, so I flipped a coin. Will this hot issue
ever get decided? :)
* 4.15.1: Removed strange link to Bruce's book:
* Replaced deprecated CENTER tag with align="center"
* Make "web site" capitalization consistent.
* 4.15.2: Separated non-command word "after" from italics.
* 1.6,1.8,1.15: Moved "href" to its own line, this helps the
display of plain text (e.g. using 'more FAQ')
* 3.1: Moved question mark outside html
* 3.7,3.8: Moved 's' outside html
* (14 places): Moved comma outside html
* 4.18: Moved colon outside html
* (13 places): Moved period outside html
* 4.15.1 Separated possesive apostrophe from html
* 4.19: Removed extra space
* 4.16: Changed Tids to T<small>ID</small>s to match the first
one in the paragraph.
* ?? 4.19: Can we not just say something similar to:
"use the SQL command 'select version();'"
as this is not a psql specific?
* 1.14: Expanded "don't" and "doesn't", added link to section 1.6
* Fixed some line wrapping differences in questions and answers
* 1.4: Put "psql" inside italics
* 4.12: Fixed spacing difference between question and answer.
* ?? 1.14: The page linked to:
which compares mySQL and postgreSQL, is almost 2 years old
now, and, as the disclaimer at the top states, is not really
fair to mySQL due to its age. Perhaps a newer comparison
could be found?
* 1.11: Added spaces before "AD" and "BC"
* 3.7: expanded "you've"
* ?? 1.15: Changed "five years" to "six years" in honor of the
new year. Is this accurate?
* 4.5: Put spaces before "TB" and "GB" as needed.
* 3.3, 4.6: Added space before MB.
* 2.1: Changed "Questions to x" to "Please send questions to x"
* 3.7: Changed "a lot of" to "many." Added a comma after "Also".
Changed "ie, " to "i.e. "
* 1.12: high-quality does not need a hyphen to emphasis the
relationship (changed to "high quality")
* ?? 2.2: The link to
seems to be down as I write this, but I cannot determine if
this is temporary or permanent. If it is still down by the
time this is read, we may want to remove this link.
* ?? The text version seems to have a lot of blank lines which
I had to strip out to get it to match the outout of
lynx -dump -nolink FAQ.html. For example, the third line
of doc/FAQ has 40 blank lines. Why is this?
* ?? 2.3 capitalizes 'pgaccess' at the start of a sentence,
while 'psql' is not in 1.8. Removed caps from 2.3, but
not sure if this is correct. I leaned towards having the
exact spelling overriding the sentence capitalization.
* Put all tags in lowercase for xhtml compliance,
added new DOCTYPE and html tags.
* ?? Perhaps define DBMS somewhere?
* ?? 4.10 It says:
"In theory, R-trees can be extended to handle higher number
of dimensions. In practice, extending R-trees requires a bit
of work and we don't currently have any documentation on how
to do it"
Is this what they are working on here?:
 Okay, maybe more than a few. I was on a roll...
Greg Sabino Mullane
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200201101539
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
pgsql-patches by date
|Next:||From: Peter Eisentraut||Date: 2002-01-10 23:06:22|
|Subject: Re: doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html changes|
|Previous:||From: Bruce Momjian||Date: 2002-01-10 19:52:13|
|Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade|