Hey guys / gals,
Cool job opening at Soocial.com, startup based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Soocial is a self-updating address book syncing service with a Postgres backend running on AWS. We’re looking for an engineer/dba to join our backend development team and work on our architecture and cool new features. If you are interested drop me a line.
The person we’re looking for has to be competent and pro-active in at least a few different areas.
- System Administration: we don’t require any sort of formal sysadmin training/certification but the person has to be comfortable configuring, starting, stopping ec2 instances, basic linux stuff like adding services, setting up raid arrays, etc – and all sorts of server configurations like nginx, postgresql, apache, etc
- Experience with databases: Soocial has a LOT of data and therefore developers are expected to keep this in mind and knowledgeable about indexes, when do to something on the app layer vs db layer, how to run migrations without affecting the user facing services, managing replication, etc
- Improve / work on our architecture: Soocial is always a bit of a moving platform. We’re continuously making changes in our setup: queueing servers, asynchronous workers, load balancing, database sharding.
- Ruby / Rails development: this is an important part of the work. It consists mostly of a simple rails app (soocial.com) and the processes that run in the background and synchronize with Google / Yahoo / Windows Live.
- Troubleshooting: perhaps more important than anything else, this person has to be quick to react and know where to look when something goes wrong. Should some part of our functionality or a few of our services stop working it isn’t always easy to find out which piece of software / server is to blame. Good knowledge of Soocial’s architecture and familiarity with these technologies is of course a major help but also looking at log files, logging in to the servers and testing connectivity to each service, etc.
That being said we don’t expect candidates to be familiar and/or experienced with all of the above but since they are part of the role it would have to be something that you’re interested in and are willing to work on and learn.
- Good knowledge – of course - of PostgreSQL, and RDBMS in general
- Interested in investigating + putting to use non-SQL based storage systems
- Expert system administration skills
- Experience with Ruby
- Experience with Rails / ActiveRecord
- Strong communication skills; desire to work as part of a team and at times develop sections alone
- CS/EE degree preferred
Employment terms: Good Salary and one location in our awesome office in the city center of Amsterdam
pgsql-jobs by date
|Next:||From: Tenders||Date: 2010-07-21 13:42:26|
|Subject: Tender: Database Software for Elephant Trade Information Systems|
|Previous:||From: Karma Bhutia||Date: 2010-07-15 07:57:03|
|Subject: Wanted - MySQL PostgreSQL DBA - CA|