Re: New driver options in 7.01.0007

From: "Johann Zuschlag" <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de>
To: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New driver options in 7.01.0007
Date: 2001-09-23 14:13:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 09:24:14 +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

>Maybe yes at least for static cursors
>and it may be a true option in the future.
>However I'm not sure if I should do it.
>I'm disappointed with some 7.2 changes
>which lost the premises of my plan and
>it's possible for me to lose my all premises
>in the future.

Since the PostgreSQL website isn't updated anymore,
I didn't follow the discussion. Which changes do you mean?
Did you lose all your new work? Or what do you mean
with all premises? The whole driver?

Personally I think that PostgreSQL will only be
of interest for many users if you can use it
from Windows. For that purpose you need
a working ODBC-driver. And it must support
(at least) all important features of the ODBC
specification. That's why I think that the
psqlodbc.dll is one of the most important
projects. Otherwise I would be forced to use
a commercial database.

>DRIVER_CURSOR_IMPLEMENT enables
>the use of SQLSetPos with SQL_UPDATE,
>SQL_DELETE and SQL_ADD options for
>static cursors. It's hard to tell where it is used
>in your tools.

I guess so.

>Hmm I'm not good at English. I'm happy to
>change it if you give an appropriate option name.

No, no your english is ok.
(saying this, I'm not a native english speaking person)

>Most driver options could be set per each DSN now.
>'Common' is the default setting of them.
>If you add a new DSN you would see the content
>of the default setting at first.

I thought it must be something like this.
I just tested it. So 'Common' shows you the
default setting and you can change that now.
Good feature!
What puzzles me a bit is that I would expect
a new window where I could change the
default behaviour.
Hmm, why don't we call it 'show/change default'?
Or something similiar.
Even though a new window would clarify things.

regards,

Johann Zuschlag
zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de