RE: 'order by' clause lost when creating view

From: dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: 'order by' clause lost when creating view
Date: 2001-08-28 19:17:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

----Original Message-----
   >From:     	fred(at)ontosys(dot)com
   >To:         	pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
   >Subject:     	[pgadmin-support] 'order by' clause lost when
creating view
   >Date:    	28 August 2001 13:19
   >
   >When I created a view in pgAdmin II using a SELECT statement that
   >includes an ORDER BY clause, pgAdmin seemed to ignore that clause.
   >The generated SQL shown with the view properties clearly does not
have
   >that clause, even though the original SQL as shown in the
description
   >area does have that clause.  The same view definition works fine
when
   >I create it directly in psql.
   >
   >Why does pgAdmin translate the view definition SELECT statement
into a
   >different form, rather than using it verbatim?

It shouldn't. I don't have the code near me until tomorrow, but as far
as I can recall nothing is done with the view definition at all -
there is no reason for pgAdmin to parse the SQL so it doesn't.

I'll take a look tomorrow and see if anything else might be causing
the symptoms you're seeing.

Regards, Dave

pgadmin-support by date