ODBC driver flakieness

From: "Gowey, Geoffrey" <ggowey(at)rxhope(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC driver flakieness
Date: 2001-09-24 22:41:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

Two problems (I've been holding back reporting until I ran into this
second):

Background: I'm trying to migrate an existing db from MS Sql 2K to pgsql by
creating a DTS job.

DB system info: NT 4 sp6a, MS SQL2K Regular, Pgsql ODBC driver 7.01.00.06.

First problem: The ODBC driver reports a column of type money in pgsql (and
in ms sql) as float4 and barfs when I try executing the job because the data
is not in the correct format (this is one of, but not the only. reasons why
I am looking for how to change the column datatype).

Second problem: I create a table with a serial column. This table is not in
the existing db and no values are being set. The job bombs when executed
with a "you don't have permissions to set sequence ..._seq" (why this is
being modified at all I do not know).

In regards to the second problem, if I create a serial column *after* the
damn is imported will all the records be updated?

Geoff