Re: slow performance postgres 7.0.3 and odbc

From: "Johann Zuschlag" <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de>
To: "juerg(dot)rietmann(at)pup(dot)ch" <juerg(dot)rietmann(at)pup(dot)ch>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: slow performance postgres 7.0.3 and odbc
Date: 2001-06-15 17:47:13
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Unlike access, PostgreSQL (and any other SQL-DB) flushes all writes directly to disk.
That makes SQL databases quite safe against power failures.
To improve performance database servers need fast hard drives.

If you are just creating a new table switching off fscnc() might speed up things considerably.
For normal (save) operation you should switch it on again.
When I create my database with several tables (with 20.000+ rows), I switch it off.

With fsync() off (backend option) you might get results less than 30 sec.

So it's not the driver.

Hope that helps,

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:21:16 +0200, juerg(dot)rietmann(at)pup(dot)ch wrote:

>Hello there
>I just made a test creating 2495 records from a C++ prog. into a postgres
>table. This took me around 4 minutes. Doing the same against an access db
>takes 30 seconds ! I use Version from 04.02.2000.
>What can I do to speed up the ODBC performance?
>Thanks ... jr
>Juerg Rietmann
>Grundstrasse 22a
>6343 Rotkreuz
>phone: +4141 790 4040
>fax: +4141 790 2545
>mobile: +4179 211 0315
>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org so that your
>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Johann Zuschlag