Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (MaybeOFFTOPIC)

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (MaybeOFFTOPIC)
Date: 2007-09-28 10:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > The probably useful next step would be to pass the current length to
the
> > archive_command,
> > so it can write the filled part of the file without the need for a
> > filter.
>
> I can see that helping a lot, but not by writing onto the file on
disk.
> If the file is nearly empty, that would be a lot of disk I/O which
doesn't
> need to happen.

I think you misunderstood what I meant.
The actual archive command is constructed by expanding certain
placeholders.
I am suggesting to add such a placeholder for the size of the filled
part of the log.

A hypothetical example (note suggested %b placeholder for size in
bytes):
archive_command=dd if=%p of=/backup/WAL/%f bs=1 count=%b

This allows to avoid unnecessary io for the backup of partially filled
logs.

Andreas