Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (MaybeOFFTOPIC)

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,"Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (MaybeOFFTOPIC)
Date: 2007-09-27 08:17:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > Attached is a modified version to implement both of these.  I also
bailed
> > out if there was surplus input.  I tried an optimization of
allocating a
> > separate buffer for outputting the zeros, to avoid repeated memset
calls.
> > It didn't seem to make a very big difference; do you think it's
worth
> > cluttering the code with that?
>
> Would it work to just ftruncate the file?

We would need to teach recovery to accept a short file if the last
record is a
valid switch log XLOG record. RestoreArchivedFile currently bails out if
the file
size is not XLogSegSize.

We need to make exact checks though, or this would reduce reliability.
(e.g. a short file must have records up to the very end)

The probably useful next step would be to pass the current length to the
archive_command,
so it can write the filled part of the file without the need for a
filter.

Andreas