Re: large object seek/write bug

From: Ian Grant <Ian(dot)Grant(at)cl(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ian(dot)Grant(at)cl(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk, pgsql-bugs(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: large object seek/write bug
Date: 2000-06-15 09:45:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Thank you for the carefully developed test case. The bug is actually
> in the backend, not in libpq: ... snip ...
>
> I believe the attached patch fixes these problems, but I haven't been
> able to wring it out very thoroughly because I don't have applications
> that do random seeks and writes in large objects. If you could bang
> on it a little more and report back, that'd be great.

Hi Tom. Thanks for the response and the quick fix. I'll write some more test cases now. I just thought that whilst this part of the backend is still fresh in your mind you might consider implementing lo_truncate (the lo_ analog of the unix truncate system call.) At present there is no way to reduce the size of a large object except by copying to a new one (and then we still can't delete the old one, or can we do that now?)

Cheers
Ian
--
Ian Grant, Computer Lab., New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge
Phone: +44 1223 334420 Personal e-mail: iang at pobox dot com