Re: Winner of naming discussions: Synchronous Commit

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Winner of naming discussions: Synchronous Commit
Date: 2007-06-25 23:11:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:30 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> So, although its a knife edge decision, I'd say go with
>> synchronous_commit = off.
>
> I agree - I'm not entirely sure why but it just feels more natural
> than asynchronous_commit = on. Plus the reasons you give seem valid.

On the flip-side, experienced DBAs are likely tuned into anything
labeled as "asynchronous"...

I'm wondering if it would be wise to throw a warning at startup if
either sync_commit or fsync were set to off, ideally so that it would
both appear in the logs as well as in output from pg_ctl.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net