Re: su not working with psql

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: The PandaWare Company <lists(at)pandaware(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: su not working with psql
Date: 2009-08-19 12:46:58
Lists: pgsql-novice
I've had su behave in strange ways if the numeric UID was not set the
same on all systems.  We use Solaris so I don't know if this problem
would exist in other systems.  We also use ldap.  What happens is that
postgres comes bundled with Solaris.  We use ldap so we have a
systemwide postgres user.  The Solaris install also creates a local
postgres user.  Since the system reads the local password file first,
that's the user that it gets.  Going across systems causes real
problems, if you don't correct the discrepancy.

Carol