First Install

From: "Williams, Rodger" <Rodger(dot)Williams(at)bdsol(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: First Install
Date: 2005-10-25 12:52:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

Q1
Is there another way to create the first DB after a fresh install?
I used the createdb executable.
I read that this is a wrapper for executing create database sql command.
If I don't want to use the executable wrapper to create the first DB
after a fresh install, how do I create the first DB without using
pgAdmin? i.e How do I create the first user, first tablespace and first
DB?
I can't login via psql because there is no database to log into after a
fresh install.

Q2
After I installed PostgreSQL 8.0.3, I Logged in via pgAdmin as db user
postgres.
With pgAdmin tool, I created a user, tablespace and database.
Installed a third party software app that uses the newly created
database.
Installation failed.
I edited postgresql.conf (changed listen_adddress) and edited pg_hba
(added trust entry).
Reinstalled software application to use newly created database, which
now works fine.
Database still runs.
I just can't login via pgAdmin anymore.
I get an error "fe_sendauth: no password supplied".
Previously it would give me an opertunity to enter the postgres user
password. Now it does not.

From
Rodger