Get last serial (autoincrement) value

From: Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru) <andreil1(at)mail(dot)starlett(dot)lv>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Get last serial (autoincrement) value
Date: 2003-09-01 10:34:32
Lists: pgsql-php
Hi,

Anyone knows how to obtain last inserted serial (autoincrement) id? I
am currently using "SELECT id FROM table_name ORDER BY id DESC", and
then retrieve first row and desired value.

May be there is more elegant way? I am using ADODB. ADODB has function
which in theory allows to obtain
last inserted serial (autoincrement) id, but for Postgres it return OID.

This is from ADODB manual:

Insert_ID( )
Returns the last autonumbering ID inserted. Returns false if function
not supported.
Only supported by databases that support auto-increment or object id's,
such as PostgreSQL, MySQL and MSSQL currently. PostgreSQL returns the
OID, which can change on a database reload.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

*   Best Regards   ---   Andrei Verovski
*
*   Personal Home Page
*   http://snow.prohosting.com/guru4mac
*   Mac, Linux, DTP, Development, IT WEB Site

pgsql-php by date

Next:From: David BusbyDate: 2003-09-01 18:11:06