Re: Fwd: [Bricolage-Devel] DB Deadlock Detected errors

From: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Bricolage-Devel] DB Deadlock Detected errors
Date: 2003-07-07 17:10:11
Lists: sfpug
On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 09:29  AM, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> Updates get write locks on the particular row involved, so if you're
> trying something like
> T1: update foo set a=1 where key=1;
> T2: update bar set a=2 where key=1;
> T1: update bar set a=3 where key=1;
> T2: update foo set a=4 where key=1;
> you get a deadlock I believe.  It does get a shared lock on the table
> but
> that shouldn't affect anything.

Okay, row-level locks I can handle. :-)

> Another possibility would be foreign keys since those grab explicit row
> locks on the matching rows of the other relation.  It's possible that
> Jan's patch for updates might help in that case.

I'm not familiar with what's happening with PG dev. Is "Jan's patch"
part of 7.4?

Regards,

David

david(at)kineticode(dot)com                              ICQ: 15726394
http://kineticode.com/                         Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory(at)jabber(dot)org