Re: Big Picture

From: Erik Price <erikprice(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Big Picture
Date: 2002-10-22 09:51:42
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, at 03:08  AM, Joel Rodrigues wrote:

> Or, if one were looking for childishly (in programming terms) easy,
> instant/simultaneous web gratification, try putting as much of your
> application logic into SQL, use Python CGI scripting, and use a web
> browser interface. So simple.

Is "putting as much of your application logic into SQL" the preferred
way to develop DB-driven applications?  I ask this because the only
database I've used is MySQL, which I enjoyed learning about and using
but required me to implement a lot of the DB logic in my application
code.  (It was a PHP app.)  That's why I want to try PostgreSQL, to get
more experience with writing logic into the database itself.  But I was
curious if there are any resources that discuss why this methodology is
preferrable if indeed it is.

Thanks,

Erik

PS:  I agree that Python is a great language!

--
Erik Price                                   (zombies roam)

email: erikprice(at)mac(dot)com
jabber: erikprice(at)jabber(dot)org