Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function

From: Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: PGSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function
Date: 2008-08-29 02:09:44
Lists: pgsql-general
On Aug 28, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Matthew Dennis wrote:
> The plpgsql execute statement, as I understand it, means "take this
> string and execute like a client sent it to you".

Of course, the string could come from anywhere. There's no inherent
reason that I can think of (except good taste) that you could not
write a function that retrieved a string out of a field in a table,
executed it, and returned that as a value for use in an index.  The
client didn't send the string along, but it still creates dependencies.

Anyway, as was correctly pointed out, tracking dependencies in PL/
pgSQL is bad enough, but PL/Java, PL/Perl...